Ceramic inlay or onlay is basically a large filling you need for the restoration of a badly decayed tooth. In such case the cavity can be cleared out only by removing a great portion of the tooth’s material. Aesthetic filling is only suitable up to a certain size. Beyond that ordinary filling is not a safe solution.
This is when inlay steps in and provides an optimal solution.
Inlay in essence is a large filling but it has some distinguishing characters that make it the perfect fit for aesthetic restorations:
- owing to the carefully chosen colour inlay fits into its environment unnoticeably
- inlay is made by the lab with high precision techniques based on the impressions your dentist takes
- perfectly replaces the missing tooth surface
- anatomically appropriately rebuilds the tooth
- regains the original chewing ability and functions of the tooth
When do you need inlays?
- if the cavity extended to multiple surfaces of the tooth
- if the out-dated filling needs to be removed, and the cavity has reached the neighbouring tooth
- if you have a large and out-dated amalgam filling that would like a state-of-the-art replacement for
- if you need to mend your chipped tooth
- if your molar teeth are discoloured
- if the original structure of your tooth is incorrect, and you want to improve that
- if you want new shape to your tooth
- if the chewing functions of your tooth is inadequate
Ceramic inlays provide perfect solutions when an aesthetic filling is no longer an option for you but you are not yet in the need of a crown instead.
It really is useful to have your teeth examined every now and then so to see if the decay has not been critically enlarged yet.
A free consultation at Saint Lucas SPA dental clinic gives you the chance for a check-up.
Call us on +36 1 790 3282 and ask for a free assessment to avoid more serious dental problems in the future.
We look forward to seeing you.